Sunday, March 31, 2013

new work - "the winter palace"


the winter palace
acrylic on panel
36" x 96 - (diptych)
(click to see large)


the winter palace
acrylic on panel - detail
(click to see large)



the winter palace
acrylic on panel - detail
(click to see large)



the winter palace
acrylic on panel - detail
(click to see large)


A little unusual - a much lighter color palette than I usually use, and a new format,
a long tableau. I think the feeling and the title perhaps derives from what 
I was listening to while I painted it this winter - a lot of Russian history and fiction.
Boris Akunin, Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie, 
Dostoyevsky and more.  Inspiration from onion domes and winter white and from some
 of Diebenkorn's wonderful abstracts. (plus it was SO cold in my studio!)